2018 Scholarship Program
– Be a son, daughter, grandson, granddaughter – natural, adopted, or guardianship – of any veteran. Be a graduating senior or a past graduate from a high school – public, private, or home-school – within Tuolumne (including Don Pedro High School) or Calaveras Counties.
– If the applicant is graduating or has graduated outside of Tuolumne or Calaveras Counties, the veteran shall be a current member of Vietnam Veterans of America, Chapter 391.
– Be registered or planning to attend on a full-time basis an accredited college, university, vocational institution or Trade School. Scholarships are not awarded for postgraduate or doctorate degrees.
How to Apply
1. Provide an application package which includes the following items:
– A completed copy of our application form. Fill Online
You may also include a copy of your schools application but it is not needed. Additional pages may also be included if your responses to the questions exceed the space provided. It is your responsibility to ensure that all required documentation is submitted. We will not notify you if items are missing.
– A photocopy of the veteran’s DD Form 214 (Armed Forces of the United States Report of Transfer or Discharge).
– A photocopy of your high school and, if applicable, college transcripts.
– A letter of acceptance from the institute that you plan to attend or other evidence of your planned attendance.
– Two (2) essays, typed, double-spaced, with a font of 12 point or greater. The required topics are:
a. What does being an American mean to you? This essay is to be between 250 and 300 words.
b. How do you feel about a young man or woman joining the military and serving their country? Could you make the decision to do so? Why, or why not. This essay is also to be between 250 and 300 words.
– Two letters of recommendation.
a. One from a teacher or other school official.
b. One from either an employer or another adult, but not a family member.
2. Mail the completed application package to the address below. The package must be postmarked no later than March 31, 2018.
VVA, Chapter 391
Attention: Scholarship Program Chair
P.O. Box 5391
Sonora, CA 95370
– Part of the selection process may be an interview of the applicant by the selection committee, either in person or over the telephone. Interviews by telephone are less preferred, but may happen if an applicant lives outside Tuolumne County.
– Awardees are typically honored at your schools award night or by direct mail.
– Specific instructions for requesting the award payment, along with required documentation, will be included in your award letter.
– Funds shall be forfeited if they have not been requested within one year of the awardees selection date, unless special arrangements have been made.
Updated 10/31/2017 – Final